• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bitter ex-best friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ilovato

What is the name of your state? CA

My friend of 15 years is suing me for $1200. and I need to know what the staute of limitations is on a personal loan. She lent the money to me back in 97 and 98. Her father threatened me and made me sign an agreement to pay her back. The thing is... since then, I have paid for trips for us to Vegas, or dinners or bought clothes for her to pay her back. I don't have proof of it other than my credit card statements or bank statements. But it doesn't show anything other than the fact that I paid. Nothing about our agreement that I would pay since I have owed her money anyway. Since her father threatened me to sign that agreement...she has NEVER said anything about the money. Now that our friendship has come to an end. She is demanding the money. Help? Am I going to have to pay her back since I really don't have any substantial proof of me paying her back? We were friends...I thought a verbal agreement was enough? I guess the only thing hope that I have is that the statute of limitations has expired? Please help me...this girl is a psycho and I tried being friends with her because I felt sorry for her...look where it got me?!

JETX

You really have two problems here.

1) You borrowed $1500 and gave her a written agreement to repay. Looks like you will have to pay this one.

2) Money that you claim you spent on her. There does not appear to be any repayment agreement here so she will very probably offer a defense that they were gifts. If you can show that they were not gifts and in fact were loans, then you might be allowed to offset your agreed repayment with them. But without some proof to support your claim that they were in fact loans, you probably will get none of this money back.

stephenk

Are you saying when you took your friend to Vegas you told her "this is a partial payment toward the money I owe you?" Did you keep any kind of ledger or record of these partial payments?

I doubt a court will agree with you that the trips and clothes and dinners were payments toward the loan.

Pay the 1,500, get her to sign a release and be done with her. With friends like her I would hate to see your enemies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">