• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

previous employer wanting to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ramona

I left my employment March 14th after nearly seven years. I was offered a like position at another company with a $6,000. increase. At the time I left, I was paid my full salary but I wrote a check back to the company for the 12 hours I did'nt not work. After thinking about it, I realized that the company owed me about $600. in sales bonus that I had earned over the last 4-1/2 months,therefore I put a stop payment on the check I wrote. Today my old employer called me at my new job, asked for an explanation, which I told him and he said "Bring me the money by this evening or I will prosecute you!" What should I do? What can he do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ramona:
I left my employment March 14th after nearly seven years. I was offered a like position at another company with a $6,000. increase. At the time I left, I was paid my full salary but I wrote a check back to the company for the 12 hours I did'nt not work. After thinking about it, I realized that the company owed me about $600. in sales bonus that I had earned over the last 4-1/2 months,therefore I put a stop payment on the check I wrote. Today my old employer called me at my new job, asked for an explanation, which I told him and he said "Bring me the money by this evening or I will prosecute you!" What should I do? What can he do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Oh, he can try suing you, but he's barking up the wrong tree. He's probably thinking of the laws concerning "bounced checks" and confusing that with "Stop payment." Also, there was no "consideration" for your check; i.e., it was "unilateral." Therefore, you can stop it prior to it being cashed based upon a mistaken belief. Tell him to pound sand.

You know what? On second thought, tell him to sue you. That you WANT him to sue you, but don't tell him why !! Then, you can countersue him for your wages, along with penalties and fines. That'll show him.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 05, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">