• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DSievers

My employer refuses to pay me for my last pay period of work. I resigned and gave two weeks notice. I had a death in the family, so I was only able to work one of the weeks. My last check should have been issued on 3/31. He refused to speak to me on the telephone until yesterday, when he informed me that he was just about to fire me, when I terminated my employment. That I left his office a mess (a statement with which I do not concur.) He said he was "pissed" and he was not inclined to do me any favors. He indicated that he did not dispute the fact that he owed me the money. Do I have any legal rights?

T

Tracey

Check your state labor laws. You probably can put a lien on his business for back wages owed. (If you record the lien, he has to pay you for a lien release he can record!) Explain this to him and he will write you a check. :)

Good luck.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">