• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joeblo

I'm a plumber in Connecticut. I operate a Sole Proprietorship after working my regular 40 hour a week job in a related field. about two years ago a friend asked me to do the plumbing & heating in an addition he was building off of his home/business (he's self employed). I agreed. We had a history of working together, he is in remodeling.
The addition was a very large one. It is like a whole ranch style house sitting on top of a row of garage bays that he uses for his business. His girlfriend's mother was to occupy the 'appartment' above the garages. I completed the first stage of the plumbing and got 3/4 of the way through the 2nd half of the job when thing started to change. He told me that he had some-one else to finish the heating.
He had to this point paid me in cash enough to cover materials (at my reduced cost) and I started asking for money to cover my labor. He gave me $500 and said that was just the first payment and he would make monthly payments for five more months. I agreed. After about 9 months without any payments to me he hired some-one else to finish the job. He then complained to me that I didn't finish the job.
He has since paid me one $500 payment (MAY 25,2002). He verbally agreed to pay me an additional $1,500.00 and I sent him an updated receipt.
Over the last 6 weeks I have tried to contact him by phone. It is obvious to me that he is avoiding me because he doesn't want to pay me. What are my options? I feel I should sue him personally and not his business, is this correct?
Thank you, Joeblo

JETX

First questions:
Does Connecticut require that type of work to be performed by a licensed and/or bonded??
And if so, are YOU licensed and bonded??

The reason I ask is... this will be one of the first questions asked in court and if you a licensed contractor is required and you are not, then the court could very possibly rule that you have no right to recovery.

JETX

As a licensed contractor, then you have some choices:

1) You can file a legal action against him. Small claims limit in CT is $3500. If your claim is for more, then you would have to file in a higher court.
2) You can file a contractors (or mechanics) lien on the property.

J

joeblo

Thank you, I thought small claims was my only option. Can you explain the property lein?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">