• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I An Employee or Independent Contractor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bvock99

I've worked for an MD 71/2 yrs doing Echocardiograms in his office 1 day a week. I am paid as an Independent Contractor(I'm paid per study), I pay my own taxes & have no benefits. I know I'm an employee,I only work for him, I don't control my schedule& I use his equipment. I have asked him repeatedly but he refuses to make me an employee. What can I do? He also expects me to do extra studies and will not pay me(I've been doing this for over a year) because he says he isn't getting reimbursed that much(he gets $350 more for the 2nd study & I get nothing for the extra hour)He's now threatening to get someone else if I don't like it. Do I have to take that? Please help. I don't know where to go with this.

M

msattorney

Contact the Dept of labor and employment in your state. They can give you more information about employee/independent contractor status. It sounds like a gray area to me. Because he controls your hours, you work in his office, and use his equipment really paints the picture of an employee. Are you pursuing other employment so that this is a temporary situation?--if so, this is more independent contractor status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">