• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL: Advice for a friend, please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

What is the name of your state? GA

My best friend recently found out her husband of six years has been cheating on her. The other person's husband discovered the month-long affair and contacted my friend. Both parties have since admitted to it as well.

Now, she is considering her options. They have no children. They do have a signed 12-month apt. lease, a car loan in her name, utilities in his, about 5 credit cards in his name and 2 in hers. And a student loan in her name. They also have a joint checking acct.

I advised her today to open a new acct. because theoretically, husband could withdraw the entire balance and leave her dry. I also advised her to go to the dr. and get tested. You don't know what's been brought home.

She isn't sure whether she wants to stay with her husband, and I don't blame her. You don't make a decision like that in one day. She's staying at her parents for a week to think things through.

Is there anything else she needs to do right now? Would she be able to break the lease? Who decides who is responsible for what bills? Although both have good jobs, my friend makes more money and has less debt than her husband.

Thanks for your time!
:)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ahutchGA said:
"Would she be able to break the lease?"

MY RESPONSE: No. What does her private problems have to do with the landlord's contract? A divorce is not an excuse for breaking a lease. She's on the hook until the contract is satisfied, or until a judge says otherwise.

"Who decides who is responsible for what bills?"

MY RESPONSE: A Family Law judge does - - presuming the parties themselves cannot come to an amicable written agreement.

"Although both have good jobs, my friend makes more money and has less debt than her husband."

MY RESPONSE: Okay? So what?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking by all of this. Your friend's first priority is to make a decision about her marriage. Then, once that decision is made, then these "secondary" issues can properly be addressed.

When the "dust" clears a bit, she should seek a free consultation with a nearby Family law attorney for a course of action.

IAAL

Last edited:
A

ahutchGA

Clarification and thanks...

IAAL,

Thanks for responding back so quickly.

I told her last night since both her and husband's name are on the lease, she has as much right there as he does. Believe me, she's not looking to bail on the rent obligations. She just wanted info.

I didn't know about the family judge. So thanks.

I mentioned the income because she's comforted by teh fact that she'd be able to live independently even without her husband's income (on a straight income, expense ratio). Her husband cannot. He has too much debt in his own name. I also mentioned it in case it had a bearing on the family judge answer.

I agree her first priority is deciding about her marriage. I just wanted to help her by gathering info to use as needed.

Thank again for the response!
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">