• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ilovato

What is the name of your state?

CA. I am being sued by my ex best friend. (I emailed about it last week!) She originally lent the money to me in 97 and we had a verbal agreement at that time. I was in, a horrible financial situation and was unable to pay her back. In December of 98, her father came to my house and threatened me to sign a promissory note to pay. I did. I found out the statute of limitations on a written agreement is 4 years and an oral agreement is 2 years. Since, I have paid her back by paying for trips for us so on and so forth...I don't have any proof that we agreed to that. I just have hotel bills with our names on it and plane tickets with her name and my credit card number. I need to know, if the statute of limitations begins at the time she lent me the money or when I was threatened by her 6'5" - 300 lb. father to sign an agreement to pay her back. (By the way, I am only 5'3" and 115 - when a man that size tells you to do something you do it in fear of your life!) This story sounds sooo crazy...and I don't know why I remained friends with her for so long. She has done so many things to me and this is just an example of why you don't trust someone who has burned you soo many times. Please help!

JETX

You had a verbal agreement which would have been only 2 years SOL. You confirmed it in writing, starting a NEW 4 year clock at the time of signature.

Since you have been sued, there is little that you can do except to defend yourself in court. Get ALL your facts together with dates, amounts, circumstances, etc. and be prepared to bring your version of the situation to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">