• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime Pay in Mass

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

njp

I work as a Banquet Server for a hotel in the state of Massachusetts. My income is derived from an hourly wage and a percentage of the weekly tip pool. I worked 50 hours last week and was surprised to learn that I was not given overtime pay (time-and-a-half). I asked my fellow employees about this and learned that it is the hotel's policy not to pay overtime to members of the Banquet department. I know that in MA there is a two-tiered minimum wage system, one for tipped and one for non-tipped employees. Do the laws for overtime pay in MA follow a similar pattern? According my employer's company handbook regarding overtime, "non-exempt" employees receive "the proper rate of pay" for weekly overtime. What is the "proper rate of pay" within the context of the state of MA? I am confused by this policy having worked in other states doing similar work and receiving OT when it was deemed necessary.

L

Lguidance

you may want to see if the rules for overtime are posted at your place of work, many states require them to be posted

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">