• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged Check: Who owes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaybiro

What is the name of your state?

From California. Relatives in Minnesota sent me a check for $100. It was stolen or misdirected into another PO Box. A local store cashed the check without requiring any ID and no contact other than a disconnected local phone number. The forgery of my signature is transparent. Relatives began a fraud investigation. An organization called US Bank Fraud wants me to send them a notarized statement at my expense along with the original check which I now have. There is nothing in US Bank Fraud's paperwork alluding to who has to pay the $100 and how to collect it. I believe that the store that cashed the check without ID is liable and should be confronted and sued in small claims if they refuse to pay. But if I send the original check as required to US Bank Fraud I am surrendering my only proof. What to do??? Thank you.

Bravo8

Maybe speak with an attorney.

Personally, I would hold onto the check and pursue a civil suit against the store.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">