• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Unemployment Compensation Eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PA UC Eligible

State: Pennsylvania

I just wanted to ask if I am eligible for unemployment compensation. Here is the situation:

I left my previous company (company A) to join another firm (company B). I resigned from A when I received the offer letter from B. The problem is that on the day I was supposed to start for B, I received a call from them early in the morning and they informed me that they had some financial difficulties and wouldn't be able to take me on.

I've tried to look for a new job, but after a month of looking, there was still nothing solid. I decided to apply for UC benefits. I was initially granted the benefits, but company A decided to appeal. Now with my appeal coming up, I just wanted to ask if I had a good chance of winning it. What points should I discuss when the appeal hearing happens?

Thanks in advance.

Beth3

You're out of work through no fault of your own. On the other hand, it's not employer A's fault either - you resigned voluntarily. I can understand why they're contesting benefits being paid from their account.

There aren't going to be any complicated legal arguments at the hearing. Employer A's position is going to be you quit. Your position is that yes, you did resign for another job but then the job offer was rescinded. All either party should and can do is tell the truth.

Whether you can collect UC benefits under these circumstances is going to be very State-specific. I'm not familiar with PA UC reg's so you'll just have to go to the hearing and see what the adjudicator rules. I'd guess it's a toss-up.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can well understand why A is appealing. In their shoes, I would too. You resigned from their company of your own accord. It is not their fault that B had financial difficulties; why should A's unemployment rates go up?

On the other hand, you are now out of work through no fault of your own.

In fairness, what ought to happen is that you should be granted unemployment compensation against company B. But that's unlikely to happen. It's truly a toss-up; I can't even guess which way this will go. It's going to depend upon who makes the most compelling arguement at the hearing.

P

PA UC Eligible

Just as a follow-up - the appeal hearing didn't happen. Company A decided to withdraw their appeal and I'll still be receiving UC benefits until I start work (which will be next Tuesday). Thanks for all the replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">