• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I sue for in Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dallasjean

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I got divorced 2 years ago, and my ex-husband was ordered to pay several credit cards but they remained in my name although they were closed. Earlier this year he stopped making payments and I found out after 4-5 months when creditors started calling me. They told me they had made numerous attempts to contact him, but he wouldn't answer them, I tried to ask him what was going on, but he hung up on me every time, in the meantime these deliquencies were reported to the credit bureau and are now on my credit report. These 2 credit card late payments are the only 2 bad things on my whole credit report. When I told him they were going on my credit report - my ex-husband said "Good!". Not being able to find out what was going on, I was forced to hire a lawyer, pay $250 retainer and proceed with contempt of court proceedings to force him to start paying and just when we were getting ready to serve him with the papers, he got money from somewhere (I believe his father, because I called him and told him what was going on) and paid the credit cards off.

So -- can I sue for my $250 retainer, and punitive damages to my credit rating in small claims court? Can he just damage my credit rating and get away with it? I already tried to get the information removed without any luck explaining he was responsible according to the judge/divorce decree but according to the credit card companies, I am still the responsible one because they were in my name.

dallas:confused: :mad:

racer72

You could sue for the $250 retainer but you may not be able to sue for punitive damages in small claims court. Most small claims courts allow only lawsuits for actual damages. Most, if not all small claims courts have information packets that can answer most of your questions. Get one from your local courthouse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">