• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To: msattorney, IAAL, Lguy and to others "professing" to be helpful:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ShadowBee

I am amazed by the absolute interest you guys show in "Bathrooms" and "beards" and "breaks"... to all of which these people posting can find on the net in their state labor laws! What about people who have earned an honest weeks' wages and who don't get paid for it? I refer to my post on 3/5 at 7:33 pm. Of COURSE, I looked everywhere on the net, before even thinking of positng here for advice/information/additional site links!! And yes, I did call my state labor office to hear a recorded message and leave my name&address for a complaint form to be sent!!! That's the extent of the help you get from the NYS Labor Dept. I, of course, am still employed here and still "earning" the wages (remains to be seen when I will be paid for them), so therefore, I cannot take a day or a half day to go to the labor office in person to inquire with them! Nor can I (and most in my situation) take time off to see a lawyer, whether or not it is an affordable option. If you are going to be on this site helping people, be fair to those of us who felt they had to turn to here! Some of us do our research first, and are not asking you to act as an attorney for us! Where are the laws that employers must follow with regards to withholding wages earned? Are there legal loopholes, etc.???
You look into this stuff and you probably will end up with more sites/links than we do...after all you guys are the attorneys volunteering for this (and thanks to you that you do), but many of us get one line answers or worse, no answers, while burning questions regarding bathrooms/breaks/beards, from people who havent tried to research it or have a company handbook/union guide get all the attention! Pooh-poo...not fair indeed! And this is for all who get flippant answers or none at all for really important questions...not where the potty is located, although she does have a legitimate complaint!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowBee:
I am amazed by the absolute interest you guys show in "Bathrooms" and "beards" and "breaks"... to all of which these people posting can find on the net in their state labor laws! What about people who have earned an honest weeks' wages and who don't get paid for it? I refer to my post on 3/5 at 7:33 pm. Of COURSE, I looked everywhere on the net, before even thinking of positng here for advice/information/additional site links!! And yes, I did call my state labor office to hear a recorded message and leave my name&address for a complaint form to be sent!!! That's the extent of the help you get from the NYS Labor Dept. I, of course, am still employed here and still "earning" the wages (remains to be seen when I will be paid for them), so therefore, I cannot take a day or a half day to go to the labor office in person to inquire with them! Nor can I (and most in my situation) take time off to see a lawyer, whether or not it is an affordable option. If you are going to be on this site helping people, be fair to those of us who felt they had to turn to here! Some of us do our research first, and are not asking you to act as an attorney for us! Where are the laws that employers must follow with regards to withholding wages earned? Are there legal loopholes, etc.???
You look into this stuff and you probably will end up with more sites/links than we do...after all you guys are the attorneys volunteering for this (and thanks to you that you do), but many of us get one line answers or worse, no answers, while burning questions regarding bathrooms/breaks/beards, from people who havent tried to research it or have a company handbook/union guide get all the attention! Pooh-poo...not fair indeed! And this is for all who get flippant answers or none at all for really important questions...not where the potty is located, although she does have a legitimate complaint!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Dear Shadowbee:
I am probably going to be the only one who'll respond to your comments and inquiries in your above-quoted post. Therefore, I understand that it will be me who will be directly in your "line-of-fire" for this response. But, I'm willing to be trampled by you and catch your wrath.

First, you must understand that NONE of us owns or works for "FreeAdvice.com." This is merely a posting site where anyone can post a question and anyone can post an answer. Second, each of us who regularly respond to questions on this site are merely volunteering their time. Some of us, like the ones you have named, and still others, come and go. There are no "regulars" who are required to review questions, or imbued with the responsibility to answer each and every question that is written. Most of the volunteer attorneys and nonattorneys who post answers on this site have offices or other jobs to tend to, and other business aspirations. We do this when we can, how we can, and on a volunteer basis. In other words, none of us "owes" anyone a response. All of the volunteers who choose to answer questions on FreeAdvice.Com have certain areas of interest or specialties in the law. None of the volunteers know every area of, or every aspect of, the laws. Some of us are very good with Personal Injury Law, or Employment Law, and still others Real Property Law - and the list goes on. However, because we are volunteers, we can only spend just so much of our time on any given question. Some questions require hours and hours of research, while still other questions are so simple, that we wonder why the poster is even asking in the first place.

For example, here's a recent post from someone who will not be getting an answer, at least from me:

"Tennessee--I have a great idea for a product. I have already designed the artwork for the logo. Now what? I don't know what steps I need to take to market nationwide. Please help. Thanks."

This person, in essence, is asking that someone train him, and put him through law school, or business school, to guide him in perpetuity through the ins and outs of business marketing. We cannot do that.

We have the right, as unpaid volunteers, to pick and choose which questions we wish to answer, either due to time constraints, or those that we feel comfortable with answering. For myself, I apologize that no one from this site, including myself, has seen fit to respond to your particular questions - - but that is the chance all posters to this site take. Please, take a look around and you'll see that there are a lot of questions with "0" responses. And yes, at first I thought the "bathroom" question, at first reading, was a joke submitted to us. Some people write to us with mal-intent or to waste our volunteer time. We cannot get to all of the questions, inasmuch as we'd like to, but that is the reality we all live with. We hope that after a certain amount of time without an answer, that most people will seek out their own attorney or State agencies for answers. Maybe, after reading your comments, one of the other volunteers will take another look at your posting and take the time to research the issues and respond to you. I hope they can. But, sometimes life isn't perfect.

I also would like to apologize for your understandable frustration. As volunteers, we try, and we can only tell you that we will try harder. Sometimes, when we respond, we have follow-up questions to the original poster, and we sometimes don't get answers back. While time has been wasted, we understand that sometimes a poster can't get back to us. It happens.

Thanks for your observations and comments.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 08, 2000).]

S

ShadowBee

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

Dear Shadowbee:
I am probably going to be the only one who'll respond to your comments and inquiries in your above-quoted post. Therefore, I understand that it will be me who will be directly in your "line-of-fire" for this response. But, I'm willing to be trampled by you and catch your wrath.

First, you must understand that NONE of us owns or works for "FreeAdvice.com." This is merely a posting site where anyone can post a question and anyone can post an answer. Second, each of us who regularly respond to questions on this site are merely volunteering their time. Some of us, like the ones you have named, and still others, come and go. There are no "regulars" who are required to review questions, or imbued with the responsibility to answer each and every question that is written. Most of the volunteer attorneys and nonattorneys who post answers on this site have offices or other jobs to tend to, and other business aspirations. We do this when we can, how we can, and on a volunteer basis. In other words, none of us "owes" anyone a response. All of the volunteers who choose to answer questions on FreeAdvice.Com have certain areas of interest or specialties in the law. None of the volunteers know every area of, or every aspect of, the laws. Some of us are very good with Personal Injury Law, or Employment Law, and still others Real Property Law - and the list goes on. However, because we are volunteers, we can only spend just so much of our time on any given question. Some questions require hours and hours of research, while still other questions are so simple, that we wonder why the poster is even asking in the first place.

For example, here's a recent post from someone who will not be getting an answer, at least from me:

"Tennessee--I have a great idea for a product. I have already designed the artwork for the logo. Now what? I don't know what steps I need to take to market nationwide. Please help. Thanks."

This person, in essence, is asking that someone train him, and put him through law school, or business school, to guide him in perpetuity through the ins and outs of business marketing. We cannot do that.

We have the right, as unpaid volunteers, to pick and choose which questions we wish to answer, either due to time constraints, or those that we feel comfortable with answering. For myself, I apologize that no one from this site, including myself, has seen fit to respond to your particular questions - - but that is the chance all posters to this site take. Please, take a look around and you'll see that there are a lot of questions with "0" responses. And yes, at first I thought the "bathroom" question, at first reading, was a joke submitted to us. Some people write to us with mal-intent or to waste our volunteer time. We cannot get to all of the questions, inasmuch as we'd like to, but that is the reality we all live with. We hope that after a certain amount of time without an answer, that most people will seek out their own attorney or State agencies for answers. Maybe, after reading your comments, one of the other volunteers will take another look at your posting and take the time to research the issues and respond to you. I hope they can. But, sometimes life isn't perfect.

I also would like to apologize for your understandable frustration. As volunteers, we try, and we can only tell you that we will try harder. Sometimes, when we respond, we have follow-up questions to the original poster, and we sometimes don't get answers back. While time has been wasted, we understand that sometimes a poster can't get back to us. It happens.

Thanks for your observations and comments.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you IAAL, for acknowledging my post. I stand corrected in so much as I was under the impression that you "legal guys and gals" volunteered to "review" on this site, rather than you just being a visitor like me.
And it wasn't my wrath that was directed, at you or anyone else. You saw fit to give me a lengthy explanation, which took some time. But still, no time on my original post. But, then, as a volunteer, you are not obligated and I have to respect that. I will keep posting for answers to my questions regarding this and maybe another legal volunteer can help direct me. By the way, I did seek out legal counsel, from my former boss of 15 yrs ago(a retired lawyer/town judge) and he's dead! Oh well, back to the "surfing" and the frustration until I either can afford an attorney or find my answers...no complaint form to the labor board until I know for sure...remember the little boy who cried wolf! That's not going to be me. Thanks again for your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">