• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changin Last Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dadinpa

What is the name of your state? Pa

I have been divorced for three years. My ex has had more children since divorce and is in a different relationship.

Can I petition the court to have her change her last name back to her maiden name or do I have no choice in the matter?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't think you have much say in the matter. You *may* be able to make a case if you have a very unusual last name and her use of it impinges on your ability to do business, but the long and the short of it is - unless it's for fraudulent purposes, she can call herself anything she wants. Heck - I could call myself Mrs Dadinpa if I wanted to!

D

dadinpa

momma_tiger

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I cannot prove any of the things you said. The problems I have had is that my cousin, who lives two houses awat from me, has the same xact first and last name. My ex has used her identity and mailing address for the purpose of seeing doctor's in hospitals to obtain medical attention. Ex does not have insurance and has done this to my cousin several times and we are having the hardest time resolving this issue with collection agencies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Then it's really up to your cousin to do something about it legally. It really doesn't affect you at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">