• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend considering separation, how should she prepare?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

What is the name of your state? GA

I'd like to get advise for my friend please. I originally posted some of this info a few days ago, but now details and plans are a little clearer.
:)

She has been married 6 years and recently found out her husband was cheating on her with another friend. The husband of the other woman discovered the affair and contacted my friend. The two people involved have also confessed their involvement.

My friend is staying south of the city with her parents right now while she comes to terms with everything. She told me today she is considering a legal separation. She isn't sure if she wants a divorce yet, but she says she can't stay with her husband right now. There are no children involved.

What sort of things does she need to do now? I know she's still responsible for her half of the lease. Can she transfer the lease to a 1BD in teh same complex? She can't honestly return to the apt., since that's where the assignations happened.

What should she do financially? How should she get her ducks in a row? Where and what should she file?

The utilities are in his name, lease in in both. They each have their own credit cards. She has a car loan and a student loan. They both have good jobs.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ahutchGA said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I'd like to get advise for my friend please. I originally posted some of this info a few days ago, but now details and plans are a little clearer.

She has been married 6 years and recently found out her husband was cheating on her with another friend. The husband of the other woman discovered the affair and contacted my friend. The two people involved have also confessed their involvement.

My friend is staying south of the city with her parents right now while she comes to terms with everything. She told me today she is considering a legal separation. She isn't sure if she wants a divorce yet, but she says she can't stay with her husband right now. There are no children involved.

What sort of things does she need to do now? I know she's still responsible for her half of the lease. Can she transfer the lease to a 1BD in teh same complex? She can't honestly return to the apt., since that's where the assignations happened.

What should she do financially? How should she get her ducks in a row? Where and what should she file?

The utilities are in his name, lease in in both. They each have their own credit cards. She has a car loan and a student loan. They both have good jobs.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

My response:

Like I said before, have your friend see a local Family Law attorney. Trying to answer a set of overbroad, vague and ambiguous questions like, "What should she do financially? How should she get her ducks in a row? Where and what should she file?" is an impossibility - - we could write volumes to answer those questions, and some or none would be useful.

But, to get specific answers for her actual, and detailed, situation from a nearby attorney, would be her best course of action. She can get a free consultation.

IAAL

A

ahutchGA

Thanks IAAL

Thanks IAAL!

I'll tell my friend. I appreciate your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">