• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible eBay libel case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karen McGaha

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello. It looks like a similar concern was posted on this site in August 2001. I just need some reassurance.

While posting a message on eBay, my feedback of "Good to do business with. Item nicely packaged (fragile). Shipping a bit slow." prompted a threat of a "legitimate legal case" against me by the seller. I admit - I accidentally posted this comment as a negative instead of a neutral, but I immediately followed up with a posting of "COMMENT WAS NEUTRAL- NOT A COMPLAINT. I'D DEFINITELY DO BUSINESS W/ SELLER AGAIN."

Regardless, the seller has told me my negative comment, whether accidental ot not, will keep others from buying from him and he looks forward to seeing me in court. I live in Georgia and he lives in Missouri. According to the definitions of libel on this website, I have nothing to worry about. Please tell me this is correct! Thank you for your help.

p.s. The seller is a member of the House of Representatives! And he is threatening me! Can you believe that?

JETX

You have nothing to worry about. If he files a suit against you (unlikely) in his home state, just answer with a Motion to Dismiss due to Jurisdiction. Besides, he would have to PROVE his damages (loss of business) due to your comment.

Just ignore him.

K

Karen McGaha

Thank You!

Thank you for your response, Judgment Enforcement of Texas. You were the one who responded in 2001 also. I am very tempted to write the Governor of Missouri and let him know what his cronies are doing with their questionable ethics but I will be the "bigger" person and just get over it...Maybe!!

I do appreciate your time and your opinion.

JETX

With a tip of his hat and an 'Ah, shucks, ma'am. 'Twas nothin'", he rides off into the sunset.......

K

Karen McGaha

Too Funny!

Mr. Texas,

Your comment had me laughing out loud! "Aw shucks...!!!" Thanks again for putting this transplanted Yankee's mind at ease. I probably shouldn't have admitted that - good thing you already gave me advice!

"The stars at night...are big and bright..."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">