• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Contractor treated as employee.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Georgia

I have been working as an independent contractor, in GA, performing a cosmetic service in a small office for 2 years. The propriter of this business started to make demands on me to incorporate claiming it is necessary to work as independent. I maintain that I do not make enough at this office to justify incorporation and need to take care of curent financial obligations first. I was also being pressured to obtain other, unnecessary, exspensive, certifications not required by law in my state and to perform uncompensated duties not related to my job. So I have terminated my association with the company.
I did sign a non-compete with a 10 mile radius clause and that any clients treated on the premises will remaine with with this business.
I am trying to move on but now my former "employer" is sending out letters discrediting my credentials and attacking me personally.
I have dedicated 20 years to my profession and am just starting over in a new state to be near my family. This person has only been in business 3 years but seems determined to keep me from making a living.
As an independent contractor can I allow my clients to know where I will be working if they ask? I am no longer working at this company and beyond the 10 mile radius. As an independent what recourse do I have? Just want to put this behind me and get on with my life. But the assaults on my character continue. How much do I owe this person as a contractor? Can I stop these slanderous letters?

G

GURUDUDE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Georgia:
I have been working as an independent contractor, in GA, performing a cosmetic service in a small office for 2 years. The propriter of this business started to make demands on me to incorporate claiming it is necessary to work as independent.

NO, IT IS NOT...BUT IT IS IMPORTANT TO BECOME A LEGAL BUSINESS WHETHER IT BE SOLE OWNER, PARTNERSHIP, OR CORPORATION (4 KINDS)
CORP.,SMALL CORP.,LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIP AND LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY.

USUALLY ONE COULD START AS A SOLE OWNER WHICH IS EASIER TO START...BUT THERE IS A PROCESS...DECIDE A NAME...REGISTER IT IN YOUR COUNTY AS A TRADENAME...APPLY FOR FEDERAL AND STATE ID #'S...AND CHECK FOR
LICENSES NEEDED BY THE STATE FOR YOUR TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION AND IMPROVEMENTS...ONCE THE BUSINESS NAME IS REGISTERED...YOU'LL HAVE A CERTIFIED COPY OF THE TRADENAME OPEN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, AND CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH THAT CHECKING ACCOUNT TO MAINTAIN RECORDS OF BUSINESS...

BUT A CORPORATION IS NOT THE ONLY CHOICE...
EACH TYPE OF BUSINESS ENTITIY HAS IT'S EXAMPLE WHICH IT IS BETTER SUITED TO...

I maintain that I do not make enough at this office to justify incorporation and need to take care of curent financial obligations first. I was also being pressured to obtain other, unnecessary, exspensive, certifications not required by law in my state and to perform uncompensated duties not related to my job. So I have terminated my association with the company.

BUT THERE IS AN ONE IRS ACID TEST THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: TO BE A INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR ONE MUST WORK FOR A LEAST THREE DIFFERENT CUSTOMERS...IF THE MAJORITY OF YOUR TIME IS DEDICATED TO ONE CUSTOMER YOU ARE THEIR EMPLOYEE...

I did sign a non-compete with a 10 mile radius clause and that any clients treated on the premises will remaine with with this business.

I AM NOT A LAWYER, BUT I BELIEVE ONE HAS TO BE COMPENSATED TO AGREED TO SUCH A CLAUSE...

I am trying to move on but now my former "employer" is sending out letters discrediting my credentials and attacking me personally.

THAT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER SHOWING A LAWYER FOR THEIR EXPERT ADVISE...IT'S GOOD THAT IT'S IN WRITING...NEVER WRITE SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT READ BY ANOTHER...

I have dedicated 20 years to my profession and am just starting over in a new state to be near my family. This person has only been in business 3 years but seems determined to keep me from making a living.
As an independent contractor can I allow my clients to know where I will be working if they ask? I am no longer working at this company and beyond the 10 mile radius. As an independent what recourse do I have? Just want to put this behind me and get on with my life. But the assaults on my character continue. How much do I owe this person as a contractor? Can I stop these slanderous letters?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">