• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stored boat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thurlo

What is the name of your state? nova scotia

last summer a man visiting my town from the united states asked if he could leave his boat for the winter. the man in town who is in charge of this type of thing said okay. he then came to my father and asked if the boat could be stored in our backyard since we had the room for it, my father said yes and the man said that the boat would be picked up in october of 2001. July of 2002 rolled around and the boat was still in the backyard, my parents are now trying to sell their home and the boat was an eyesore sitting behind the house. they asked the man in charge of the boats in town to contact the american and tell him that his boat had to be gone immediately, the american said that he would be down at the end of august 2002 but my parents could not wait that long so they sold it for $600 (to cover a $50 a month storage fee). the man is now here and has contacted my father and told him if he doesn't receive $1500 dollars in the next two days for the boat then he will take legal action. what rights do we have in this situation? my parent's do not know this man and could not have contacted him themselves to give proper notice. we stored the boat for free for a year and as a result of standing up for themselves may have to also give this man $1500. Would we stand a chance in court or should we just pay the money and move on?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">