• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benefit fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shellyk

I have been recently was sent a subpoena, from the unemployment benefits fraud office. I was laid off from my previous employer and paid a severance package. They told me to apply for unemployment also. I did that however, I misunderstood the question on the application. It asks if I received dismissal pay. I answered no. The unemployment office thinks I was overpaid and I lied on my application. I talked to my former employer and they contacted the office and faxed the severance agreement, and verified my information. I was wondering if I should get a lawyer right away? Or wait until after the hearing, to see what they want?--Thanks for any information

ALawyer

Talk to a lawyer now, and get some personal advice. It may cost a few hundred dollars. And save you a lot of aggravation, and possible big costs and trouble down the road if the government tries to use you as an example!

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">