• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired vs Layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ELTRAYBI

My employer recently downsize both regional operation centers into their main hub. In this process everyone was laidoff except for me. My counter part at the other hub was laidoff and entitled to severence. I was fired with no prior warnings on file. At my hub i was the only employee who would have been entitled to severence. When i received my seperation noticed, it stated that i was laidoff and not fired. When i confronted my employer about severence, I was informed that the notice i received was in error and that they would send me another one with the correct information. I feel that my employer fired me because they are trying to avoid paying my severence. Please advise.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate and am currently awaiting Bar results. I offer the following information to you as mere guidance, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

1. I would gather all proper documentation you have thus far, including Company manual or policy book.

2. Read the section at Freeadvice.com called Employment (labor) law all sections there (or most of them).

3. Contact an employment attorney through attorneypages.com and speak to them.

4. Your dispute, with the attorney's help, will probably go through the federal administrative agency entitled the EEOC (equal employment opporunity commission), if talking with them through your rep doesn't help.

hope this helps you. good luck in your endeavors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">