• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer refuses to issue final pay check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jegonda

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I recently quit a job (without giving any notice) after 2.5 weeks that was an "at will" position. I worked a total of 12 days as a salaried employee - and received a partial 4 day pay, prior to my resignation. However, it has now been a month and I cannot get them to issue me my final 8 days - amounting to approx $950.00. Nor, can I get anyone in there HR dept to return my calls.

The organization is incorporated in Ohio, but is a "family run" business, and I believe the president (owner's son) is the one behind my pay being withheld as I did not leave on very good terms.

How should I proceed with this? The one problem I see is that I did not sign any sort of termination notice, and do not know how I can legally prove I worked the final 8 days - as I was not required to punch a time clock, etc.

Beth3

I don't have my State law reference material at hand, so I can't tell you what Ohio law is on this. But what I can tell you is that at a minimum, nearly every State dictates that final pay be paid no later than the date it would otherwise be paid if the employee was still working.

Call the Ohio Department of Labor immediately and file a claim for the wages you are owed.

J

jegonda

As an update, after 12 phone calls - I rec'vd a letter from the company's president stating that they are not paying me my final pay in order to re-coup the costs associated with my "training" during my short time there - as my production and work were virtually "nil" during this time.

My training consisted of following the person I was replacing around on her daily activities..no formal training was given, nor offered. The position was as a marketing director - so no "technical" types of training were needed.

Any thoughts on this? I assume it is just a way to continue to delay paying me my final check..

Thanks again for your assistance...this is just very frustrating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">