• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personnel file confidential?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hld202

What is the name of your state? Indiana

A friend of mine was recently terminated from his job for what his boss called "excessive write-ups" during his 90 day probation period. I understand that this is an "at will" state, and an employee can be terminated for no reason at all. However, a few days after being terminated, I personally witnessed his boss walking around with his personnel file, and showing this file to one of the other employees. This employee confirmed the fact to me stating that the boss wanted her to see the write-ups, and the reasons behind his termination.

Is the boss allowed to show other employees personnel files for terminated employees? Even after the boss refused to show the file to the terminated employee?

Beth3

The employer owns the personnel file and records therein, just like any other company documents. They are free to show it to whomever they wish, with the exception of medical records.

Just because the law doesn't prohibit what this supervisor did doesn't mean this wasn't really, really bad management. The great majority of employers keep these records completely confidential and only allow access on a "need to know"basis to select members of management.

This supervisor is an idiot. I wonder if senior company management knows what he did? (hint, hint)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">