• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlee

What is the name of your state? California
I am being accused of stealing two diamond rings from my roomate. I didn't do it and have reason to believe from past situations that she is committing insurance fraud. She is adamant that I did this. She accused me about one month ago and came into my room with a tin box (which I guess held the rings) which she told me to look at and asked if it looked familiar. I touched it and handed it back to her. This is the box she claims her rings were in. I thought nothing of it at the time. Now she is claiming she gave that box to our landlord who has supposed police connections and they scanned the box, lifted her fingerprints off and mine were on there. Whether this is true I don't know. She is telling me I am going to be investigated for this. What am I suppose to do? Should I get a lawyer? How do I defend myself since basically it is my word against hers? What are my rights? Thanks for any help.

Beth3

Good grief girl - move out now! Your roommate is a nut case. Even if you have to move back in with your parent(s) or another relative for a bit, it'd be well worth it to get out of this woman's orbit.

First off, she can't file a claim with her insurance company for theft unless she files a police report, which clearly she hasn't done. Since it's been a month since she claimed the rings went missing, it's apparent she doesn't intend to do so. And even if she does, the fact that she's done nothing for an entire month or longer will certainly make the police very suspect about what is going on with her.

Secondly, this business about her having the landlord "scan" the box and lift off fingerprints is just ludicrous. And as far as his mysterious "police connections," Oh, puhleeze.

I have no idea what your roommate is up to but the best advice anyone can give you is to move out asap and sever all connection with this woman. She's bad news.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">