• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of Job Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blurry602

What is the name of your state? WA

Approximately 12 years ago I was hired by my best friend's step father. The step daughter and I have been friends since grade school and even dated for a brief period. Life moved on, and although our contact diminsihed we never really lost touch. My boss, the stepfather was fully aware of the relationship. We both got married, she had two children and so on. I promoted within the organization to a management position. In 1998, my boss began talking about hiring my friends husband. As he became more serious about it, he asked if I would have a problem with the situation. I stated no, the two were separate issues and I harbor no bad feelings and so on. He was hired. At this point, I was not the husband's supervisor. in 1999 I took a position with the comapny in a different state. Prior to my moving, my wife at the time and I were separating and I was planning a divorce. At a going away party, my friend approached me and discussed her current marital situation and asked if I was happy and I stated no, I was actually preparing to divorce my wife. She stated she was unhappy and we both agreed we missed each other and our relationship. I was moving, she was married so nothing came of it at the time, but we agreed to maintian our friendship and not lose touch. I moved and we stayed in touch. Later the same year she chose to divorce her husband. I never interfered and even encouraged her to work on her family relationship. My old boss knew all of this. In 2000 I returned to my old job. My friend and I talked and and our relationship sparked off and on at times in between her attempts to reconcile. During this period my boss told me I could be fired for this relationship. I disagreed stating both of us were divorced and since there was a long standing pre-existing relationship it was my business not my job's. He claimed the behavior could be deemed unethical and I "stole" a subordinate's wife. Currently, my friend and I are dating and the relationship is moving forward. My boss stated there is no way the relationship can continue and I work here and has threatened the corporate office will terminate me if the relationship surfaces. I have reviewed our faciltiy's ethics policy and manual and can find nothing that warrants my termination. Now I understand that what I am doing is not the smartest thing in the world, but the relationship is very important and so is my job. I am not aware of any fratnerization policies existing at this time. I am not involved with a coworker / subordinate, it is the ex-wife of over a year of a subordinate employee. Can I be terminated for this or I am safe standing my ground?

Last edited:

Beth3

There is no law which would prevent your boss from firing you for dating his step-daughter and/or the former wife of a subordinate. Looks like you need to choose between the girlfriend and this job. I suggest you start looking for a new position immediately.

In case you're thinking that because the employee handbook/policy manual doesn't say you can be fired for this specific reason, that doesn't matter. Unless the handbook is written in such a way as to constitute a contract (which would be highly unusual), you are an "at will" emlpoyee and can be fired for any reason except for a speacifically prohibited one, such as due to your age, gender, race, religion, and so on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">