• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anoyedinnj

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi,
I don't know if this qualifies as harrasment in my state, but here is my situation. I have an ex-girlfriend that has been telling people that I am married to her and that she is pregnant with a child by me. This is very much a lie. This information has gotten back to my wife and myself and it is very much upsetting to the both of us to say the least. While she hasn't contacted me directly with these allegations ( she can't e-mail me as I have her blocked, and she doesn't know where I live, but she knows where I work) she has been telling this BS to others. My suspicions are that she is trying to get my attention so I will call her or contact her in some fashion, which I have no intention of doing. Do I have legal grounds to charge her with harassment? Does anyone think I could get a restraining order against her (BTW she does own several guns)? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to stop these games?

JETX

Q1) "Do I have legal grounds to charge her with harassment?"
A1) No. Defamation, maybe. IF you can prove that the child is not yours and what 'damages' you have incurred by her statements.

Q2) "Does anyone think I could get a restraining order against her (BTW she does own several guns)?"
A2) Depending on specific statements and actions, you might. But that wouldn't stop her from talking.

Q3) "Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to stop these games?"
A3) Have an attorney write her a 'cease and desist' letter, including a threat of legal action (defamation) if she doesn't.

A

anoyedinnj

To the best of my knowledge she is not pregnant. She is just saying this to either get a rise out of me or anger my wife who happens to be pregnant. Also I have not seen this person in a year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">