• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problem serving small claim document

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcdo

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I filed a small claim against my previous landlord. I had the papers served by the sheriff. It's been a month and the papers are not served. The sheriff states: not served.

The landlord is at this address because I received a letter from him shortly before filing this claim.
It is to be delivered to his home. He has a family. I put in a request to have him served again.

Why is the sheriff not serving the papers? There was no explanation given as to why not.

What would be my next step If I continue having problems serving the papers?

JETX

How would we know why your local sheriff is not peforming proper service on your defendant??

I would suggest you call your sheriff and say something like:
"Hey Bubba, why haven't you served that scumbag former landlord yet??"
OR
"Hey Bubba, is this guy your cousin, or what??"
OR
"Hey Bubba, is there anyone in your Barney Fife organization that knows what they are doing??"

I will bet that any of those will certainly get them moving!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">