• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband won't abide by div decree and my lawyer won't follow thru

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pegasus1969

What is the name of your state? MS. I was divorced 2 yrs ago in Indiana. In the decree I was awarded 50% of my ex's 401k. To date I have not received anything. I contacted the 401k provider and sent all documentation to them. They said they could not do it, that I had to have a QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order). I have tried to contact my lawyer who handled the divorce but he will not call me back. I contacted a lawyer here in MS and was told it would cost over $1000 and could take 2-3 years to get. I have talked to my lawyers secretary and she said she put the file on his desk. But she could not find it. Still no contact whatsoever from my lawyer. I am giving him until Friday to contact me. If he doesn't I will contact the Indiana Bar Association, ABA, and anyone else I need to, to file a formal complaint. I have been dealing with this for two years. My ex finally put the house up for sale this month, which I get 50% from also. According to the divorce decree, the house was to be sold within a year and its be two. Also, I know my ex has gotten a copy from the 401k provider in regards to the QDRO. This divorce decree has not be settled and I need help. Anyone know what I should/can do? Please help. We are talking about a substantial amount of money. Fully vested. Thank you.

Last edited:

P

pegasus1969

thanks, I contacted my attorney again Friday, and told his secretary that if he did not return my call I would contact the IN bar and ABA. Guess what? He called. He was very hateful but not as hateful as I was. He said not to threaten him and I told him this wasn't a threat that I have been trying to get him to do this for 2 years. I had previously talked to his attorney earlier in the week she stated, which I have on tape, via message box, that she put the folder on his desk, but she did not find it on his desk, he stated that he never received the messages and had to pull my file out of a box in storage.. Someone lied, guess who? Tuesday and contacting the Bar and informing them of these shaningans and such. Also, I contacted my ex's attorney, since my attorney said she was the one who had to file it. So, my trust for attorneys is null and void as of this time. My attorney went thru and ugly divorce with his wife and lost almost everything he had so he hates woman and has stated that before. Will let you know what happens. Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned.

P

pegasus1969

Just to let you know the house has been sold and closes this weekend and my ex's attorney called and said they have the QDRO filled out and just need my attorney and the judges signature to submit for division of 401k. Looks like the little person won this time. Only took a little over 2 months to complete, versus the year or longer another attorney told me it would take and didn't cost me $1000 or more like I was told it would also. Didn't cost me a thing. Ta dah.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">