• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue friend for $500 she owes me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gf219

What is the name of your state? New York

I am getting married on October 19th and was booking a honeymoon to Hawaii. My fiancee's co-worker/friend (Kathy) said she knew of some timeshares in Hawaii for $500 for a week. My fiancee and I gave her the money in cash (My fiancee works with this woman) for the timeshare. A week went by and Kathy never booked the room for us saying they were waiting for that week to be available. We wound up going to Cancun instead (bought and paid for already). Our wedding is coming up soon and we need the money for my wedding dress and she does not want to return our money saying that now she has the room booked and what is she going to do with that room. She keeps giving us the run around saying that she is re-mortgaging her house to give her time and she will refund us. Two months have gone by and nothing from her. I have had to cancel my fittings cuz I am waiting for this money. Can I take her to small claims court although I gave her this money in cash? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

JETX

If I understand your post correctly, you paid someone $500 to get you a condo for a week in Hawaii..... but then you decided to go to Cancun instead. You now want your $500 back. Is that correct??

If so, then you have NO cause of action to recover the funds. She did what you asked and the accomodations are available. It is now your choice on whether you want to go (and use the accomodations) or to not go. I would suggest you try to 're-sell' the week in Hawaii if you can.... to try to recover as much of your loss as possible.

A

a neighbor

A week in Hawaii shouldn't be too hard to unload. In fact IF I had more details (where in Hawaii, dates, # of rooms for sleeping, and so on) I may have an interest in it. I won a trip for 4 to Hawaii a year ago in Feb, I was unable to go by the end of the year, BUT I retained the air miles (140,000), So I can fly any where for free, just need a place to stay:D

G

gf219

for a Neighbor

Its in Maui for the week of October 20 - 27. Let me know I will send you the info and let you talk to Cathy.

A

a neighbor

Send me details! If you go through Profile under my post you can send me an email directly. I just got a phone call asking dates and details! So I guess if all works well, I may see my MUCH needed vacation! LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">