• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Screening

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Enoch

Can an Employer make it mandatory that an employee pay for a drug screening before or after hiring? Is it even legal? I live in Maryland

[email protected]

L

Law_Dude

Generally speaking pre-employment drug testing is usually legal only if the job requires it for a security reason. In other words, police officers, fire fighters, etc. Once an applicant is hired though, random drug testing is more often than not held to be legal. What is unusual about your question is that the employer forcing the job applicant/employees pay for the tests. I have not heard of this arrangment before. I would say that it is not required for you to pay that. Rather it is the employer's choice to have such a test done, so they have to pay for it.

E

Enoch

To: Law_dude I appreciate your response to my question, but I would like to know if there is any Law that says an employee must pay for the exam. If so where may I find that information Posted in writing? I am willing to take the exam but damn sure not the expense!!!

Thanx
Enoch

S

ShadowBee

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enoch:
To: Law_dude I appreciate your response to my question, but I would like to know if there is any Law that says an employee must pay for the exam. If so where may I find that information Posted in writing? I am willing to take the exam but damn sure not the expense!!!

Thanx
Enoch
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Enoch...It is my understanding, under federal guidlines, that if this drug screening is a mandatory condition of your employment/continuing employment with this employer, that they must provide the funding for such. I do not believe that they can force you to incur the expense, UNLESS you perhaps signed a pre-employment contract, similar to a non-compete. This kind of contract allows employers to get around the true state laws, because you both agree to it. However, under federal guidlines, it is not mandatory that they make YOU pay for the test that they require you to take. There may be professions that are exempt from the Drug screening mandates, but I have not found anywhere, where YOU are required to pay the bill. I suggest you get onto your state's bar association web page and go from there to links. Try being specific on your search of your state's labor laws. They ARE there...it'll just take hours to find them!!! Also, try your state university web page. And then go from there. You may be able to get in to see the laws on "paper"..ha ha ha At the very least you can do two things right now from your chair. You can call your locat State Labor office, Division of wage and Labor Standards (federal term) and they probably have an answering machine, telling you to leave name/address/type of complaint, and they will send you a form, OR get on the University's chat lines and look for a "budding lawyer"....worked for me...got great sites and he babbled law to me for over an hour and a half!!! Hey, you do what you gotta do!!! Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">