• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Jury subpeona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Montana

My husband was associated with someone who is facing lots of charges for stolen goods and such. He wasn't involved but he was associated with this person. The detectives said he might be subpeoned to the grand jury. What exactly does that mean and can he be arrested and charged himself?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

concerned1 said:
What is the name of your state? Montana

My husband was associated with someone who is facing lots of charges for stolen goods and such. He wasn't involved but he was associated with this person. The detectives said he might be subpeoned to the grand jury. What exactly does that mean and can he be arrested and charged himself?

My response:

It means that your husband will be extensively questioned in front of 12 Grand Jurors, whose job it is to hand down an "indictment" against your husband's "friend."

Your husband WILL NOT be able to use the 5th Amendment in a Grand Jury proceeding, and nor will he be able to have Counsel present.

If, he fails or refuses to answer ANY of the D.A.'s questions, it's off to jail he goes until he decides to answer. Any answer he does give can, and will, be used against him in any subsequent criminal trial of your husband.

Your husband had better be squeaky clean, or it's off to the slammer he goes.

IAAL

OK, so he has cooperated fully with the detectives and told them everything he knows (which isn't much) and his story hasn't changed. He basically knows nothing but they say he does. Will they even subpeona him if he doesn't know anything?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

concerned1 said:
OK, so he has cooperated fully with the detectives and told them everything he knows (which isn't much) and his story hasn't changed. He basically knows nothing but they say he does. Will they even subpeona him if he doesn't know anything?

My response:

Sure. All because he says he "doesn't know anything" doesn't mean that the D.A.'s questions won't be different, and actually reveal that your husband does know more.

Good luck to your husband. He's going to need it.

IAAL

We are obviously in unknown territory's here - suppose something does come out, what happens then? Does he need to get an attorney prior to this? How or can we find out when the grand jury is scheduled for? I appreciate your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">