• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Property at the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

B_L_C

I live in Canada, however I couldn't find a bored for Canadian free legal advice, however for this question, it doesn't matter, as I would expect Canada and the U.S. to have similar laws concerning this matter

I'm 17 years old and I worked for a company, the company gave me a company car and a company cell phone, I was working one day and I left the car in a parking lot to collect a box for my company, I left it for about two minutes, I left one of the doors unlocked and the cell inside......when I returned the cell phone was gone, and stolen......the phone was a lender from the phone company, which means it's more expensive then usual. The company would like to charge me a $1000 (The price for the phone) however I never signed any documents that showed I was responsible for the phone, and I shouldn't be held responsible for the phone if someone stole it. so my question is can the company force me to pay the bill?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

B_L_C said:
I live in Canada, however I couldn't find a bored for Canadian free legal advice, however for this question, it doesn't matter, as I would expect Canada and the U.S. to have similar laws concerning this matter

My response:

This is where you're wrong. "Bailment" and "Negligence" laws for both countries could very well be different, or even slightly different, and to give you advice based upon American law could send you down the wrong path.

This is why this site is for "U.S. Laws Only."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">