• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buggsey59

I was working for the thruway authority and was terminated for putting no on my application to tickets and arrests I did get aticket for dwai 7 years ago but when I called dmv they said it was off my record is there anything I can do? this is new york state.

S

ShadowBee

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buggsey59:
I was working for the thruway authority and was terminated for putting no on my application to tickets and arrests I did get aticket for dwai 7 years ago but when I called dmv they said it was off my record is there anything I can do? this is new york state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what you entered "no" to on the application. Did it state "have you ever been convicted of..." or did it state "have you been convicted of in the last 5 years (or 7 years, or 10 years)"?? You get my meaning now...State DMV rules (Im from NY, too) differ than State Law. Your conviction stays on your record at the DMV for 7 (10) years for that such offense, but if you were to be pulled over for not signaling, it is my understanding that the cop wouldn't see it because their information goes back three years for misdemeanors....and your insurance in NY can only go back five years for rating purposes. See what I mean??? But the bottom line here is, did you answer the question on the application truthfully? It is a legal documentation of YOU. If you lied, or didn't answer the question "correctly", and they found out about it, then you were in the wrong. Since it seems that you were working here and was fired for "misrepresentation" on the application, then I'd have to say that there is more going on here than you are telling us. If the Thruway Authority hired you, then fired you, it probably has more to do with the fact that they were investigating you or worse, looking for a reason to fire you...and lying on an application is the surest way to see the street...very hard to prove they are in the wrong too... Good luck!

B

buggsey59

It read have you ever so I was in the wrong I know that they do a background check on all new employees in the beginning at our expense.I am looking to find out if its legal to ask those questions for future reference.they didn't want to let me go it was albany ofcourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">