• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal here in Florida?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lawrenz2

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am a non-US citizen nor a green card holder. I just got married to a US citizen who has a 5-year old child. The child is carrying the family name of her mother, and his bio-father don't recognize him nor doesn't know that he has a child from my wife. He hasn't given any child support eversince.

My question is: Is it lawful for me who is a non-greencard holder nor a US citizen, and still new here in the US to adopt a child of a US citizen? Another thing is, as of now, I am not financially capable of supporting the child since I still need to be stable and find a job to help support my new family.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

CMSC

lawrenz2 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am a non-US citizen nor a green card holder. I just got married to a US citizen who has a 5-year old child. The child is carrying the family name of her mother, and his bio-father don't recognize him nor doesn't know that he has a child from my wife. He hasn't given any child support eversince.

My question is: Is it lawful for me who is a non-greencard holder nor a US citizen, and still new here in the US to adopt a child of a US citizen? Another thing is, as of now, I am not financially capable of supporting the child since I still need to be stable and find a job to help support my new family.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
No you need to be a US citizen to adopt. You also need the consent of the birth father and since he doesn't know your wife needs to tell him and when she does he may want to contest the adoption.

Another question, how can you use him not supporting the child against him if you said he doesn't know he has a child in the first place?

CMSC

Re: Re: Is it legal here in Florida?

ryry's mom said:

If you don't have a green card and you are not a US citizen what is your immigration status? You also need the consent of the birth father and since he doesn't know your wife needs to tell him and when she does he may want to contest the adoption.

Another question, how can you use him not supporting the child against him if you said he doesn't know he has a child in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">