• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thomasmyers1615

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was recently fired from a major offshore drilling company. At the time I was fired I was not given a reason for this action other than I couldn't keep my mind on my job. Later I found out from inside sources that I was let go because of an incident that took place at an company event during my off time. Can they do this.

Beth3

Most likely. You can be fired for any reason except a specifically prohibited one (such as due to your age, religion, race, gender, etc.) or for a reason that would be in violation of public policy.

If you behaved in a manner that was deemed to be inappropriate at a company event, you can be terminated for that. You may have considered it off time but I assure you, no company event is ever truly "off time." Getting drunk and insulting the CEO's wife at the annual Christmas party dinner/dance is a good way to get fired, for example.

T

thomasmyers1615

For instance, this event was a company fishing tournament. At the tournament they had a tournament for the kids. In which if they caught a fish they were suppose to win a prize. Later in the evening when it was over and the kids fish were brought in, my son had caught one of the largest fish that day, but did not get a prize. And as I watched them give out the prizes, I noticed that alot of kids that were related to some of the big wigs who had not caught fish were getting prizes. After this happened I threw a fit about it, and apparently this is the reason for my fire. Because I voiced my opinion about an unfair action of the company, I am now without a job, and can not seem to get any other offshore company to hire me. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Beth3

No. Firing you because you "threw a fit" about your son not receiving a prize is not illegal. You are assuming this is the reason for your termination and it might well be. What we don't know is whether you were fired merely for voicing your opinion or the manner in which you did so. Neither would be an illegal reason for firing you however.

L

legaleagle74

way to go beth!

Beth is right; usually employers do not even have to give a reason for termination; about 95% of all terminations have little to do with job performance, most terms occur because of a personality conflict.

There is probably little you can do, and if you are having trouble finding employment, it's because word of mouth travels quickly, especially if you listed this company on your job resume. I doubt a favorable reference was given to your potential employer.

I hope you find employment soon, and not to sound harsh, but I hope you have learned something out of this.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">