• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personnel File Contents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Curious_n_Okie

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma. What can a previous employer keep in your file? During an interview with a potential employer a candidate signs a form stating this potential employer may check my personnel file with my previous employer. What information can this potential employer see? I am asking because my previous employer unexpectedly gave me a very poor evaluation then gave me the option of 90 days to improve or quit right then. I opted to "improve." Of course that was not the case. I agreed to resign, but my supervisor retained his laundry list of my "defects" in my personnel file. I was under consideration with U. S. Investigations until they viewed tmy file and saw his laundry list. Do I have any options to correct this situation? My x-supervisor is a young man with a lot of power and little experience. There is no talking to him, because that is questioning his judgement. Out of his desire to eliminate me, he has created a nightmare for me. Who would hire me with his hate list included in my file? Help...:eek:

Beth3

An employer can keep anything they want in a current or ex-employee's personnel file. Now whether it's wise to do so is another matter entirely but no laws dictate what record-keeping an employer must do or how they must do it with the exception of having a W-4 and an I-9 on file, and a few laws that dictate privacy of any medical records they have. An employer who conducts performance appraisals would most certainly keep those in the employee's personnel file however.

Employer policies on providing references are all over the map. Some employers won't give out any information, some will give out virtually anything a prospective employer wants to know. As long as the information an employer provides is truthful and reflects their honest opinion, they are free to do as they wish.
For example, if your ex-employer said that you were terminated for stealing, that would be an outright lie and potentially actionable. If your ex-employer shared that they found you to be an unsatisfactory employee and why, that reflects their honest opinion, even if you do not agree.

C

Curious_n_Okie

Thank you Beth3

It is incredible the latitude of influence that another person can have over our lives. Amazing. I guess it woud behoove each of us to pay close attention to the type of people with whom we hook-up, and accept to be our "boss." Their personality can be our undoing. I wish I had been more aware, I would never have worked for this young man. Live and learn. Thanks again.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">