• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schedule changes and verbal agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vega1

mississippi
are there any laws that deal with employers changing work schedules and giving notice of the changes?

during my job interview, i specifically asked about having to work late and i weekends and explained that working a weekend or late night shift would be hard for me. i was told that i wouldn't have to work either. a few days after hiring me, i was told that i might have to work weekends but they didn't know when i would have to start this. i came in one morning to find a weekend schedule with less than a week's notice. then they said i would have to start working late night once a month. now i am being told i will have to do it once a week or find another job. i am already on call 24-7 so their is no need that i physically be at the building. i am considered an exempt employee. the personnel officer said i had no grievable issue. i'm not sure i believe her. is there any laws that deal with similar situations?

M

macro9999

so why cant you work late nights or a weekend?

If there is no good excuse then you probably will be fired.

If you rely on public transportaion and cant get to work, then you would still be able to collect unemployment, since it wasnt your fault you cant show up.

If you are going to school to better yourself...then you have been REDNECKED!

Rednecks hate people who try and get ahead in life so they change the schedule so you have to choose.

Beth3

To actually answer your question (as opposed to whatever that is above), no, there are no laws that deal with employer schedule changes or advance notice. The employer sets your schedule and is free to change it. If they knew they wouldn't be able to meet your desired schedule when they hired you, that is dirty pool but it's not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">