• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

company closed and no pay checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CRS061069

What is the name of your state? PA
Last week, after a full days work, I received a call, at home, that I was one of 10 people being layed off, effective immediatley. The next day, the company announced that it was closing and everyone else was layed off, effective immediatley. On the scheduled pay day, a lot of people showed up for their checks and were told that the company did not have enough money in the bank and they would have to wait 5 days for their pay. The company has not filed bankrupcy. Is it legal to make us wait for our pay checks? They said, by law, they had 2 weeks to get the checks to us. What if the 5 days are up and still no check? They will also owe us one more check in two weeks. Should we expect this on time?

T

typhoon

Re:
Not quite understand what your question is, they said 2 weeks which is 14 days not 5 days.

This is just my opinion.

Typhoon

Beth3

I'm afraid I don't have my list of State's "final pay" requirements at hand so I can't tell you what PA's is. More often than not however, final pay must be paid no later than the next customary pay date.

I suggest you call your State's DOL and advise them of the situation. They may want to wait and see if the employer does pay you in the 5 days they've promised before taking any action however.

Whether you can expect your last paycheck on time is something only the employer can answer. Clearly they're having some major cash flow problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">