• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this really "legal"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JTrimpe

My husband works as a painter for a man who contracts through home builders in Michigan. When he was employed by this man a year ago, he was told that he needed to go and file DBA papers. My husbands paychecks are made payable to the business name that appears on the DBA papers.
The things we are concerned about are:
if my husband is an hourly employee, why does he need the DBA? but if he is considered a subcontractor, why does he get paid hourly? There are no taxes witheld out of our weekly checks, which leaves us kind of screwed at this time of year because my husband has to not only pay all the tax that should be witheld through the year, but also social security and self employment taxes. The boss promised everyone medical insurance a couple months ago, but wanted to start deducting 1/2 an hour a day off of everyones time to offset the cost of the insurance. Now he has changed his mind about the insurance, but still deducts the 1/2 hour a day! Also, my husband has been working an average of 50-60 hours a week and gets no over time pay. My husband was also told that he could have a week paid vacation, and that too has been taken away.
Is this a legal way to run a business? What if anything, should we do about this?
Thankyou. JTrimpe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">