• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PTGARRISON

In January my former employer had the office accountant tell me that if I don't sign a Commissioned salesperson agreement I would not receive my commission check, so I signed.
On the last page of the agreement there was A no compete statement.
I am starting my own business and I’m contacting former clients for work.
I think the contract was not legal because of the threat all though the threat was not in writing.

[This message has been edited by PTGARRISON (edited April 13, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PTGARRISON:
In January my former employer had the office accountant tell me that if I don't sign a Commissioned salesperson agreement I would not receive my commission check, so I signed.
On the last page of the agreement there was A no compete statement.
I am starting my own business and I’m contacting former clients for work.
I think the contract was not legal because of the threat all though the threat was not in writing.

[This message has been edited by PTGARRISON (edited April 13, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Most noncompete agreements are unenforceable as being unconstitutional. Only in extreme cases are they tolerable under the law. However, you're going to have a bigger problem than a noncompete agreement. You said you are starting your own business and are contacting your former clients, who I presume, by the way you wrote your post, are still the clients of your former employer.
If that is the case, you can be sued for tortious interference with prospective economic advantage, and a whole host of other causes of actions, and the damages flowing therefrom. You cannot actively steal away the clients of your former employer unless they contact you first. You cannot make your business life easier on the "coattails" and the "backbreaking" efforts of your former employer, that may have taken years to cultivate. I'd think three times about your plans, if I were you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 13, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">