• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wally

son was caught for shoplifting at my place of employment, being off that day I was called at home to come pick him up. Well I lost my temper while behind closed doors, due to his cocky attitude and went to strike him, was pulled away by security, but was charged and arrested with domestic violence and was terminated for violence at the work place. I have in my possession both statements from the security personnel who witnessed the incident, which are conflicting as to what took place, also one of the security personnel went against company policy by informing others about the incident. Incidently I took my son to see a docter who found no signs of abuse. what are my options if any, in this matter.

T

Tracey

The fact that you didn't actually strike your son doesn't mean you aren't guilty of domestic violence. Attempting to hit someone is assault, whether you connect or not.

The only argument I see for you is that you were not in the store as an employee; you were called in as a parent. The company's ban on violence in the workplace is designed to protect employees from each other and customers from employees; not to protect one customer from another customer. Since you weren't on the clock, you were a customer. You shouldn't be held to employee standards when you are not working. It's a weak argument, though.

Without more information, I doubt that the conflicting security reports are any help to you. Does one say that your son threw the first punch and the other say you did?

Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">