• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-parent adoption annullment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sheuyan

I live in Virginia and I'm wondering if I can have my adoption, by my step-father, overturned. I was eight at the time, I didn't really know my biological dad and it was thought that having my step-dad adpot us (my brother and I) was the best thing (insurance purposes). I no longer have any contact with him. (he could be dead for all I know) and I wish to have my biological father's name as well as him have the rights of a father. My biological father did not contest the adoption because at the time, he was out of the country and no where to be found.
I'm also Native American and there's certain priveledges that I am entitled to but because my biological father's name is not on my birthcertificate, I am considered a "white" person there fore, I am not entitled. Any help and guidence would be greatly appriciate.

pooh41

I live in Michigan. My sister and I were the victims of a stepparent adoption in Michigan in 1973. My mother and her live in boyfriend scammed the courts into believing they were married (incredibly incompetent on the courts part). My mother's boyfriend was actually married to another woman at the time my sister and I were adopted by him. Having recently found this out in May I started on a legal process to try and have the adoption undone. After seeing three lawyers about this I decided I was wasting my money and embarked on my own. I learned of a process in our state called rescission of adoption. My sister and I had to give legal testimony for the grounds of our requesting this and my biological dad had to be present for the hearing and sign his permission to reinstate his parental rights. This process cost my sister and I one hundred dollars each (the court should be ashamed for collecting this as the adoption should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and by the court allowing the adoption it placed my sister and I in an extremely abusive home). My sister and I were also able to have the entire adoption file open to us. This allowed us to find out the other lies my mother and her boyfriend told the courts to scam them into allowing them to adopt us, it also revealed to us the level of incompetence on the court's part (no marraige licensce for the adopting couple, no proof of income etc). I hope your state has this process. I can't begin to tell you the peace that I have received in being able to have my biological father's name placed back on my birth certificate. Good luck and may you find the same peace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">