• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant and Searching For Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandibeach50

What is the name of your state? Mass

I find myself pregnant and looking for a job. I recently had an interview, and they did not ask if I was pregnant, and I did not tell. Regardless of what the law states, I know that companies are not going to choose a pregnant woman over some one else if they don't have to. They set me up for a physical which includes eyes, ears, strength of hands, and a drug test. Will I be tested for pregnancy along with the drug test? Is this a legal practice? I have read about it happening. Is there somewhere on the web where I can go to read about this? I have looked under pregnancy laws, but haven't found anything on this question. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sandi

Beth3

No, you won't have to take a pregnancy test. The only way I can even imagine an employer doing this would be if you were going into a profession where the working conditions might harm the fetus - an x-ray technician for example.

The employer is most certainly doing a standard 5-panel or 10-panel drug screen urine test. Believe me, those do not check to see whether you're pregant or not.

Take the test, accept the job and when the time is appropriate, inform your employer about your pregnancy and what type of leave they might be able to accomodate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And for the record, there are employers who will not care if you are pregnant. I once had an applicant tell me she was pregnant when I called her to set up the interview - and I interviewed her - and I hired her.

S

sandibeach50

Thank you

Thank you for the information. I did take the physical and the physician's assistant did discover that I was pregnant. Needless to say, I explained the situation to her and she said not to worry, that the place of employment wouldn't find out from them, and the drug test would not reveal it. Also, I didn't mean to imply that all employers would turn me down for a job, but in the experience that I have had, it seemed to have lowered my chances.
Sandi

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">