• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Implied contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JZimm

What is the name of your state? Utah

Long story short, I was interviewd by someone asking illegal questions, but was hired, given a start date, salary, and position and hours. I was showed around, introduced, and told where to park. When I showed to work, the person whom I was to replace was still there and the person who hired me said I was mistaken and that I was never "actually" hired. I quit looking for work because I knew I had that job and salary. What are my rights?:confused:

Last edited:

Beth3

Unfortunately none that I can see. A job offer is not an implied contract - only a contract is a contract. You were an at will employee which means that unless you can prove that the employer purposefully defrauded you during the recruiting phase, there is no legal recourse.

I'd imagine what happened is that the employee who you were to replace changed his mind about leaving or the internal transfer he was supposed to have fell through and the employer handled your situation very badly. But that's not illegal.

P.S. There are no illegal questions. Only prohibited use of certain information. For example, they can ask you what religion you are (a stupid question but legal) but can't refuse to hire you because of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">