• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am 16, and want to switch gaurdianship...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whocar1570

What is the name of your state? - New Jersey

My mom told me that i'd be much happier living elsewhere. This is true, as this area's entire mentality is money oriented, and i can't stand the whole quiet, small town atmosphere. She is willing to give full consent for my uncle to adopt me (he's in PA) and for him to be my gaurdian. The same goes for him. Can this be done? Again, im 16, and this is NJ/PA. For some extra details, he is stable (about to start a 9 to 5 job), is 23 years of age, and is moving in to his own apartment on november first. He is fully mentally stable. Thank you all for your time.

Seanscott

I would be a little suprised if a judge would grant the adoption of a 16 year old girl to a 23 year old man who is "about to start a 9 to 5 job".

I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, but you should think about this - if you go before a judge and tell him how unhappy you are at your mom's home, and he does not approve the adoption, have you considered where you could end up?

Possibly in foster care!

Can you hang out at your mom's for just two more years? You'll be 18 and then can legally move to your uncle's without the adoption. The adoption would take quite a few months anyway.

Hope you find a happy solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">