• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepson ?adoption? sort of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cbbrown

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have a son who is now almost 17 years old. His biofather never acknowledged that he was even here, until faced with that fact in person this summer. He acted really shocked, but I know better. He has known of this child's existence since before he was born (we were never married).

When my son was born, I didn't have anyone listed on the birth certificate as the father.

When he was 5 1/2 years old I met a wonderful man whom I married and who accepted my son as his own and has ALWAYS since that day cared for him and treated him like his own. When he was six years old, we had his name changed to our last name and had my husband listed on the birth certificate as his father. Is this illegal? We did all of this through the State Hall of Records Department.

Is there any recourse in case his biofather tries to intervene (which I don't think he will in a million years, but you never know)?

cbrown

Seanscott

This is something that is done occasionally, and yes, it is illegal. It is fraud. I haven't heard of anyone ever getting prosecuted for it and after all these years I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The courts look at your husband as the biofather and that's all that really matters now.

If the "real" father wants to do something about it, he'll have to answer to the judge as to why he never asked for visitation, custody, support, etc.

It would be such a long process, your son would probably be 18 (and no longer a minor) by the time the case was resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">