• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination by extortion/blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

R.H.L.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

i worked as a asst. manager for six yrs. i made a judgement error. i left a deposit, that was in a locked money bag in my briefcase, under desk in office. was ready to go out door. reminded of responsilibity not done yet. left unattended. another person under me. rifled my things and stole it. the owner new an expressed to me that i was innocent of theft but responsible. i agreed. police investagation started. never having a cash violation in six years of employment, i still new a final write up was going to be issued. two days later, owner lets just say after 15-20 min gave me a new name. then told me not only i was to take a final written, but to keep my job i had to pay back the loss of cash out of pocket, or out of a job. he knew i just recently purshased a new home, and couldn't even begin to know how. my question was why, he's insured, and stated my innocence. seven days passed, very stressing to me. he then talked to my boss on phone. told me i had to pay back half or was out of a job. i had no choice. i was terminated. i want to know if this falls under blackmail or extortion. i'm out of work. crunhing bills to keep my new house, let alone hire a lawyer. by the way we both know who stole it. instead of backing me. i got fired, they got a transfer.

Beth3

It's neither extortion nor blackmail so don't waste money on a lawyer. The employer was free to terminate you. I can't think of anything unlawful in allowing you to keep you job if you elected to make restitution for your error in judgement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">