• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gentleben

What is the name of your state? Washington

I tutor a group of children at my home. The children are from 6 to 10 years old. I just started a new group today (its an after-school group) when low and behold, my neighbor, a very large and intimidating man, came crashing into my front door banging and calling my name. All of the children and one of the parents were in the living room. I thought there was an emergency and went to the door. At that point he started screaming and swearing (really nasty swear words) telling me to get my F-ing G-D- dogs inside and stop their F-ing G-D- barking. None of us heard any barking and I later polled all of the neighbors who said that the dogs across the street were barking but not mine. I asked him to calm down and tried to get outside to talk to him but he continued to stand in my front room door and scream and yell and make demands. The kids were frightened and I told him there were little kids (he could see them) and he said I don't care about any little F-ing kids F-the kids just get the G-D- dogs, get out here now!!! I told him I would get the dogs and he kept saying get out here now, you better get out here now!! and holding the door. I finally made him understand that I had to let the dogs in from the back door and he let me shut the door.
Needless to say, the kids were terrified. Well, so were a couple of the parents. One parent has already pulled her child out of the program stating that she will write a letter explaining that the reason that she is pulling the child out soley has to do with the fact that she fears for her childs safety due to what she witnessed from the "unbalanced, agressive neighbor" . He started yelling again later after the kids had gone so I called the police who, after talking to him, suggested that I go tomorrow to get a restraining order. They felt that he was unpredictable and warned me to keep all of the kids inside. Another parent is probably pulling her child as well based on the fact that her husband was screamed at by this neighbor as well.
I am losing a years worth of tutoring at $520.00 per month X 9 months due to this neighbor. This is just from one child. If I lose more children I could potentially lose That x 4. Also my son is terrified now.
Someone said that I can hold him responsible for loss of income, is this true? Would I need to take him to court and if so what should I have first? I will get the restraining order tomorrow and I have hidden the dogs at my parents house so that he cannot harm them. By the way, I guess he hosed them down as well as they are soaking wet. He never even called me to let me know anything was bothering him.
Thanks for your time in advance,
Carole

C

CombatTN88

No. You can't do that. Your neighbor has a right to complain.

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

oh my god that is the worst response i have read in a long time.......go down to your local police station and at the very least make a report, see if you can get a restraining order. contrary to the previous dummies response you do have the right to be in your own home and not be bombarded by some lunatic. if the neighbor had a legitimate complaint, what is wrong with a phone call or calling the police if he was soo upset.. seems like a ticking bomb if you ask me.........

V

veryhardworker

Yes- your neighbor does have the right to complain.
No- Not the way he did.
When you asked him to step outside and he refused to move from out your door he was then trespassing. A result of people pulling their children out of your class was because of his behavior, aggressive temper, yelling and refused your request to step outside. Then you may take him to court for lost income. You need to get statements from the students parents stating that his behavior is the reason they pulled their children out. Also get statements from the neighbors that night about the noise.

Do not take this a legal advice, but if I were in your shoes and I thought someone was messing with my dogs outside (spraying them with water). Or whatever he was doing. I would set up a video camera outside. You get him on tape doing something to your animals. You not only have evidence, but depending on what he did you may get him for Animal Cruelty. If you think he was going to do serious harm then don't do this. You don't want to jeopardize your dog’s safety.

G

Gentleben

Two of you were right!

thanks for the advice, I did go down to the courthouse and found out that he was in "gross" violation of his rights. You cannot, in this or any other state, go banging on someone's door, screaming and swearing and intimidating a person. This is called harrassment. The fact that he did it to a parent, a neighbor and myself constitutes repeated harrassment and the court gave me the restraining order without charging me a cent.
Furthermore, the person who suggested getting a statement from a parent and sueing for lost income was also correct. I have procurred the statement and will be following up this restraining order with a suit for lost income via my attorneys advice. Word to the wise, if you have a problem with a neighbor's barking dog or loud music or whatever, best to call or calmly come over and talk to the neighbor first-
Thanks again all,
Gentleben

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">