• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Former Employer Use My Old Email Address?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mytaz416

What is the name of your state? New York

I quit my job four weeks ago, and my former supervisor told me that she was going to monitor my company e-mail inbox for awhile, which is fine, because I communicated a lot with vendors though e-mail and my boss wanted to make sure nothing important came to that email address after I left. However, I recently discovered that my boss had been using my old work email account not just to reply to messages, but to initiate emails. I don't know who she is sending emails to, but I know of several former co-workers who received emails from my account. I know the company owns the user ID/mailbox, but she is still using my name, because all of the emails that she sends from there has my name at the top. I don't know as that she is actually pretending they're from me, she is most likely signing her own name, but isn't that still some sort of violation? Using my identity? My brother seems to think it goes agains a Federal identity protection law. Don't I have a right to view all emails she has sent using my name? Any advice anyone could offer would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They own the e-mail system; they own the e-mail addresses. They can continue to use it.

Beth3

No, she is not using your identify. She is using an e-mail ACCOUNT the company owns.

I expect it's much easier for her to reply to the messages rec'd to that account directly and if she's sitting there working at your old desk and need to send one, to use the e-mail that's open on the screen in front of her.

Now if she starts opening up credit card accounts in your name, THEN you'll actually have something to worry about. In the meantime, chill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">