• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmiller826

What is the name of your state? Texas
I paid an online paralegal from my state to prepare my adoptoin papers. Everything was going great. We went to the court house to file, paid for a notification by citation ( haven't talked to the bio father in 10 years). Yesterday I got a phone call from an attorney the state has hired in the bios defense. He asked me a great deal of personal questions... about where we met, his friends, his family, and he also asked me to drive by and get some of the street addresses from friends I know the bio had 10 years ago... My question is Do i have to cooperate with this guy? Do I have to do his "leg-work"Thank YOu

D

dorenephilpot

If you meet your state's criteria for notice (such as publication of the legal notice that meets your state's statutory requirements), you have fulfilled your obligation, and your adoption can go through without his knowledge.

If you answered the attorney's questions, I'd say you've done more than your duty. Let HIM to drive around and try to track down all that info. Sheesh....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">