• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving up parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OmahaNE

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My husband has a 7 yr old daughter. He has been paying child support ever month out of his checks. He has been paying for 3 yrs. and we have had her in our care maybe a total of 30 days throughout that 3 yrs. THe mother just got married and talking about her husband adopting her. My question is if he signs his rights away does he still have to pay the child support? Also if they get a divorce does he become reliable again? And does he have the right initiate this if she doesnt?e of your state?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

OmahaNE said:
What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My husband has a 7 yr old daughter. He has been paying child support ever month out of his checks. He has been paying for 3 yrs. and we have had her in our care maybe a total of 30 days throughout that 3 yrs. THe mother just got married and talking about her husband adopting her. My question is if he signs his rights away does he still have to pay the child support? Also if they get a divorce does he become reliable again? And does he have the right initiate this if she doesnt?e of your state?

My response:

Why are you posting on 4 different forums?

Please remove 3 of your posts.

IAAL

Seanscott

Your husband will have to pay support until the adoption is finalized.

He can sign away his rights to visitation, and decision making for the child, but the support will still be owed.

Once the adoption is finalized it is permanent & irrevocable. If she gets divorced afterwards, the adoptive father will be responsible for support.

Your husband cannot initiate an adoption process for another man. He cannot make somebody adopt his child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">