• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulling back offer??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dlhayes

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Here's one for you legal heads out there. I received a job offer from a company. Quit my previous job to relocate to a [place I had worked before but this was a whole new position and company. One of the people there had said I had failed to check out previously when I left. I reconfirmed that all things had cleared but that the checkout sheet had no-ones discernable signatures. This was not an official document and I wasn't allowed sufficient time to garner the signatures so I scribbled gibberish.
Bottom line is that I turned in everything. No-one has a problem with my returning except my new company whom it seems is looking for ways to back out.
They sent me an offer letter and I have signed and returned it to them and quit my previous employment. What should I do?
Thanks

HomeGuru

dlhayes said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
Here's one for you legal heads out there. I received a job offer from a company. Quit my previous job to relocate to a [place I had worked before but this was a whole new position and company.

**A: is the place that you are referring to a location such as a city, county, town, state? Or a company such as your employer?

One of the people there had said I had failed to check out previously when I left.

**A: what does that mean "one of the people there"; where? Any was this person management or a janitor?

I reconfirmed that all things had cleared but that the checkout sheet had no-ones discernable signatures. This was not an official document and I wasn't allowed sufficient time to garner the signatures so I scribbled gibberish.

**A: either fraud or forgery. Any such document that your employer requests is official.

Bottom line is that I turned in everything. No-one has a problem with my returning except my new company whom it seems is looking for ways to back out.

**A: no one should have a say except your new company.

They sent me an offer letter and I have signed and returned it to them and quit my previous employment. What should I do?
Thanks

**A: ask for your old job back that you just quit or start looking for a new job.

Last edited:

Beth3

dlhayes, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense but from what I gather, an employer offered you a position and they subsequently discovered a document from your prior employment on which you forged signatures, so they pulled the offer.

They don't have to look for ways to back out - you've already handed them a perfectly good one. I suggest you start looking for another job asap.

D

dlhayes

Pulling back offer

dlhayes said:
**A: is the place that you are referring to a location such as a city, county, town, state? Or a company such as your employer?
D** Actually it's overseas working for a sub-contracter of the US government. At Naval Support Activity in Greece.

**A: what does that mean "one of the people there"; where? Any was this person management or a janitor?
D** This was the director of the facility that gave me this check-out list on a Friday afternoon and had to have it in by Monday morning. Normally you are given 3 working days to complete it. I did in point of fact complete it but had forgotten the paper to take around.

**A: either fraud or forgery. Any such document that your employer requests is official.
D** He wasn't my employer. My employer was satisfied with the way I had checked out and knew of the fraud/forgeries and has made a statement to that effect.

**A: no one should have a say except your new company.
D** If there is nothing that wasn't completed and even my previous boss verifies that this is true why would this be a problem?

**A: ask for your old job back that you just quit or start looking for a new job.
D** If that is true then they should have checked the placement to see if there was a problem prior to making the offer. If there were problems I should have been notified in some way or another. This brings me to the other question of why I wasn't notified of any problems prior to this?

Isn't an offer letter that states that the only hinderance being if my security check isn't approved and implied contract of some type?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">